Google+

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Roasted Red Peppers with Thyme and Feta


This wonderful combination of roasted red peppers, fresh thyme, meyer lemon juice, and lemon olive oil was introduced to me by the delectable L., who is an inspiration to me in many ways, most notably in the areas of candor and joie de vivre, and, more recently, food. This dish would make a wonderful party appetizer.

At a recent "Girl's Night" at her place, I arrived with food and friend B said "Your brought food to L's! That's like bringing sand to the beach!" I love this line. I want to write a screenplay around it.

There's really nothing like freshly roasted red peppers. I just put them right over my gas stove top and turn them with tongs until the skins are blackened:



Seal them in a plastic bag for 20 minutes, and the skin scrapes off easily with a knife:


Seed and julienne the peppers and marinade with sea salt, lemon olive oil (I used Sciabica's), meyer lemon juice and a generous amount of fresh thyme. L's magic ingredient is to use Sheep's Milk Feta from Israel (available at Trader Joe's).

This dish is one of those amazing, simple dishes that gives a wonderful taste experience for relatively little work. I hope you will enjoy this one in the company of food friends!

4 Comments:

Blogger A_and_N said...

I so envy you for the gas stove. I've never been fortunate enough to live in an apartment here with one of them...I always end up with an electric stove :(

the peppers look fabulous :)

6:50 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

Oh god, there is nothing like the taste of a freshly char-grilled pepper. Or eggplant for that matter...

6:52 AM  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

This makes me wish I had a gas stove!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Bazu - I read this and had to run out and buy an eggplant!

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home