Google+

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Alive! Vegetarian Cuisine in San Francisco


I recently enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Alive! restaurant on Lombard Street in San Francisco. It was a dark and wintery night, and the restaurant lighting is calm and subdued, so my pictures really don't do the dishes justice. Above, their signature dish of King Trumpet mushrooms with capers, sea palm, romanesco, cauliflower and almonds in an almond cream sauce was an amazing melding of super fresh raw vegetables with a knockout almond cream sauce.

Below, their flaxseed flatbread with cashew cream, tomatoes, and avocado:

Looks simple, but it was so perfectly delicious, I was tempted to run out and buy a dehydrator and try the raw breads myself!

The restaurant is tiny. It has a wonderful combination of mellowness and urban hipness. The staff were enthusiastic and knowledgeable. I didn't see it, but they also have outside garden seating for warmer weather.

The focus here is on very fresh ingredients and creative combinations. While I wouldn't take a steak-lovin' cowboy here, it's a must-try for vegetarians/vegans in the area!

They also frequent the local Farmers Markets as I discovered today at the San Rafael Civic Center market:


Check out their website for upcoming special events, menus and catering.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Those dishes look divine! The colors are a feast for the eyes as I'm sure the ingredients are for the palate. Who ever said vegetarian cooking isn't exciting?

10:31 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I think the plating looks terrible. Your dishes at Millennium school are infallibly prettier.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Chris - I love innovative chefs!

cookie - interesting! I thought the mushroom dish was very attractive. Both shots are rather blurry due to the poor light, as mentioned, and really don't do the food justice.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

These look and sound delicious! I've had this place on my list for a long time and haven't made it - this is definitely a push for me to try it.

8:08 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

that looks delicious! I really really miss being able to create amazing raw dishes (for the restaurant I worked at).. We got the freshest produce in the summer.. I never knew exactly what we could get.. the farmer would drop it off and I would just goto town with it.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home