Google+

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Oyster Mushroom "Abalone"


I bought a lot of fresh produce today at the Farmers Market. I couldn't resist a lovely bag of super fresh oyster mushrooms, although I've never cooked them before and only had them deep-fried at Millennium.

Then I found this wonderful and easy recipe for Oyster Mushroom Mock Abalone, along with a number of other promising recipes at The Oyster Mushroom Page on the Mycological Society of San Francisco's website.

Flour, dried herbs (I used Herbes de Provence), garlic, salt, and pepper create a light coating for the mushrooms, which are then quickly sauteed, and topped with lemon juice.

I don't know if they taste like abalone, but they made a delicious afternoon snack! Highly recommended.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Despite its simplicity, I've never seen this in any cookbook! Looks positively delicious.

Panko breadcrumbs would add a lovely texture and brown up quite nicely in the pan as well.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Chris,

Me neither. A number of the recipes I researched said lemon juice is the way to go with oyster mushrooms. The flour worked really well and I love the fact that you simply combine the ingredients and shake them onto the mushrooms. The result was a very light batter, nothing heavy or oily here. I used peanut oil and skipped the butter and cooked at very high heat (peanut oil doesn't smoke at high heat).

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love oyster mushrooms. Back in San Rafael, I made them frequently in a red wine roux on pasta. But I haven't cooked them in a while.

When we drove by the civic center on Sunday, I was very wistful since Portland's farmers' markets are only open spring-fall. They have some great mushroom vendors, though, and a few friends of mine are amateur mycologists so this year I might actually go mushroom picking! Not quite as exciting as looking for truffles in Italy, but still fun.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home