Google+

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Portobello "Steak" with Garlic Butter


Inspired by a recipe of the same name in Cooking for Yourself , a cookbook for those of us who need that perfect recipe for one, this was an unusual meat-substitute and potatoes meal for me.

While not much of a recipe in the way of a vegetarian protein dish, it was, never-the-less, quite satisfying. I significantly cut the suggested allocations of olive oil and butter (from 1.5 tbsp olive oil to 1 tsp, and 2 tsp butter to 3/4 tsp), although I did add some pesto after the fact (see pic below). Basically, you cook the portobello whole in a frying pan with oil and garlic and butter. Then slice.

Baked the fingerlings in the micro (2 minutes) and prepped the baby spinach by placing it in a colander and pouring boiling water over it. That "cooks" it, but allows it to retain it's spinachy shape.

Definitely not a vegetarian cookbook, but the Baked Goat Cheese Salad with Tomato Bruschetta looks like a winner as does the Spring Vegetable Stew with Couscous. If you're not a vegetarian and are looking for a range of recipes for one, you may want to check this one out.

4 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

when I first saw this pic I thought it was meat! lol...

I guess the portabella really is the "meat" of mushrooms...

Love the ease of preparing spinach... I've never done it that way... but it sounds perfect!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mushroom heaven for me and nicely presented to. A good reminder that great food can be presented simply!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I AM PREPARING A POST ON MY BOTANICAL BLOG ABOUT GARLIC,AND I RECEIVED YOUR POST THROUGH "GOOGLE ALERTS". COOKING IS ONE OF MY STRONGER INTERESTS AND NOW THAT I HAVE SEEN YOUR BLOG I PLAN TO VISIT REGULARLY! YOU PRESENT A GREAT COLLECTION OF RECIPES! I WILL LIST YOU ON MY SITE! I AGREE WITH MELODY! I THOUGHT THE MUSHROOM WAS A STEAK!!!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Melody - you should see the one in the cookbook - at first I skipped it thinking it was meat.

Holler - Mushrooms are one of those "meaty" foods that can be used successfully in so many ways. I have to say, I prefer them cooked to the minimum.
any mushroom favs to share?

doug - welcome! and thanks for the encouraging words. Let me know you're favs.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home