Google+

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Navajo Stew


Last summer, I started packing myself a "raw lunch" of organic carrots, snap peas, edamame, and raw macademia or cashew nuts. To add some substance, I'd occasionally enjoy a cup of miso soup as an addition. After lunching this way for about a month (and adding more vegan dinners and eating lots of fruit), people complimented me on how glowing my skin was. And, it was true. It really made a difference.

I had this lunch again today, but it's bitterly cold and rainy outside and it rather fell short. Yesterday, I succumbed to the cold that's been after me since before Christmas, and I have a rare rash of pimples on my chin. In short, I'm feeling tired, cold, and a little grumpy.

So tonight's dinner has tomorrow's lunch in mind. This simplified variation of Navajo Stew from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers was comforting, had plenty of protein and fiber, some sinus clearing heat, and was very easy to prepare. Prepared mostly from canned or jarred items, it also helped clean out my over-stocked pantry. I enjoyed this hearty stew with my favorite new corn chips, Have'a Corn Chips.

Navajo Stew (adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers):

1 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp diced red onion
1 sweet potato, peeled, cubed, and parboiled until almost tender
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp Chipolte peppers in adobe sauce, minced
1/2 cup salsa
1./2 cup vegetable stock
3-4 oz roasted red peppers, chopped
7 oz canned corn
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
10 large black olives, sliced

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan and cook the red onions over very low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the parboiled sweet potatoes, black beans, salsa, and vegetable stock. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the roasted red peppers, corn, rice, cumin and half of the sliced olives and simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining olives and serve with chips and your favorite guacamole!

5 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

omg, this looks soo good! Seriously... black beans, sweet potatoes and chipotle is one of favorite ever combos.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Hooray for a well-stocked pantry! Looks delicious, and beautiful, too.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Sharona May said...

Wow, now that is unique. I love a new idea.

Sharona May

4:01 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

indeedy - olives make everything better even a cold I hope, for your sake, hope you eel better soon.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hey Melody - it is a wonderful combo!

Lydia - my pantry runneth over, but my mum was on rations during WWII and instilled in me the need for reserves.

Sam - it's funny to think now how I hated olives as a twenty something. Turns out you just have to find the right ones.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home