Google+

Monday, January 07, 2008

Eggs by Michel Roux


I took the week of Christmas off work to relax with my children. And we really relaxed! We slept in till 9am most days. I don't think I've had this much sleep since my son was born....nine years ago!

And every morning, I indulged in my favorite sentimental home breakfast: a boiled egg with toast. Reminiscent but improved from my childhood version, I enjoyed my boiled egg with either toasted baguette or Ferrari sliced pugliese, both are outstanding. And I alternated the butter between Kerrygold's Pure Irish butter (salted) and Double Devon Cream Butter....talk about simple luxury! My mum brought me half a dozen phenomenal farmers market eggs for Christmas. There's nothing like a really fresh egg.

So I was very pleased to receive Michel Roux's cookbook Eggs for Christmas. This is a delightful cookbook with perfect photographs.

A small sized cookbook with a personal feel, it reminded my of Clotilde Dusoulier's Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen. The book is organized around a style of cooking eggs (boiling, baking, souffle etc) and every recipe is celebrated with a glorious photograph.

From the back cover, "Fried Quail's Eggs on Toast with Mustard Hollandaise":



"Scrambled Eggs 'Magda' on Fried Bread"



"Scrambled Eggs Clamart (with peas and lettuce leaves):


I won't torment you further....and there's some sweet-looking desserts!

Oh, Michel, please come and cook breakfast for me!

Roux is a highly acclaimed chef and has held three Michelin stars at The Waterside Inn near Windsor in England for 21 years.

And, I'm absolutely going to try the "Scrambled Eggs with Rhubarb", a 20 year old recipe from The Waterside. While the recipes include meat and seafood, there's plenty of wonderful options for the vegetarian cook.

This is cookbook beauty at it's best. Now if I could just find the perfect eggcup....

2 Comments:

Blogger Threadspider said...

I am right there with you about boiled eggs and toast for breakfast. I still like Marmite on mine on my toast, as a relic of my childhood.
But now I am keen to try some of the other recipes.

I hope you don't mind, but I have tagged you on my blog for a Make My Day Award.
Judith

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds excellent - i'm going to pick this one up - i adore my eggs!

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home