Google+

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas Lima Beans



OK, this post is for Dori.

I have to admit, I didn't make this dish on Christmas Day. I made so many vegetarian appetizers and vegetables, and as my vegan guests didn't make it, I decided to skip in on the day.

However, I did use the delicious Christmas limas in this dish with garlic, mushrooms, and spinach.

I soaked the beans overnight until they were twice their previous size. I parbolied them for 15 minutes, unitl they were al dente. I then cooked cremini mushrooms in butter (olive oil if you're a vegan) with 2 cloves of crushed garlic and some marsala. I then added the beans and baby spinach, along with another crushed garlic clove and some extra butter/olive oil. I topped mine with some Mt Tam cheese, but they would have been very good without the cheese if you're a vegan. I planned to serve this in a filo pastry dough, but messed up on the defrosting time. I'm sure it would have been incredible in a filo pastry base, but it was still awfully good without it. The Christmas Lima beans definitely had a chestnut flavor and texture. Delicious!


3 Comments:

Blogger Dori said...

Thanks! They look scrumptious and your choice of a garlicy mushroom additon gains a mouth watering approval.

10:55 PM  
Blogger bazu said...

Oh, as usual, your creation looks wonderful! You are the minimalist queen. Happy new year!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Sheltie Girl said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe. I just got a package of Christmas Lima Beans in the mail from Native Seeds. Now I can't wait to cook them. It's a pity though that their vibrant cranberry color doesn't remain through cooking process.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home