Google+

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Cabbage & Potato Soup


This soup is humbleness at it's very best. I can't believe how totally delicious this simple soup was! Honestly, I'd serve this to anyone.

Cabbage & Potato Soup:

3 oz butter
3 leeks, white parts only, clean and chopped
8 baby dutch potatoes, quartered
1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped
2 cups of vegetable broth (I use Wolfgang Puck's)
2 cups water
pinch of sea salt & pepper
2 thin slices of baguette with drip of olive oil
2 slivers of Jarlsberg cheese


Melt 1 TBS butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and cook the leeks for 4-5 minutes. Add another TBS butter and the potatoes, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring 3 times. Add the last TBS butter with the cabbage, cover, and cook 3-4 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, water, salt, and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.

Toast the baguette slices under the broiler for 1 minute. Top with cheese and broil one more minute.

Serve soup with cheesy baguette slice.

4 Comments:

Blogger MeloMeals said...

Oh wow.. simplicity at its best. This soup looks amazing!

9:15 AM  
Blogger aTxVegn said...

This simple soup looks really really good!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Farmgirl Cyn said...

OK, I'm a sucker for anything with potatoes, so this is one I am going to try. For right now, my favorite is Julia Child's potato leek soup, albeit I cheat and use chicken stock. I can't get enough of it, which perhaps explains my expanding waistline this fall! (as you can see by the chicken stock, I am not a vegetarian, tho I have a daughter who is...but I do have leanings in that direction and can always improvise!)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

This is a wonderful soup - I have made it quite a few times! (Even without the baguette slices... which are a treat.) I often wonder whether I should use 3 oz. butter or 3 TBS butter... usually I go with the larger amount.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home