Google+

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Poblano, Jalapeno Pizza with Avocado


It's not the prettiest, but this was one hot pizza in more ways than one.

Trader Joe's plain pizza dough, topped with salsa (Casa Sanchez Medium), grated Arina Goat Gouda, roasted poblano, jalapenos, topped with grated cheddar. Baked at 450 for 10 minutes, then topped with rather too much cilantro pesto (better without, honestly) and some nice cool avocado. It was pretty hot and very delicious.

Alas, this pizza had a difficult birth. As I took it out of the oven, my arm touched the hot oven. As I still have the scar from the last time this happened, I reacted very quickly and flipped the pizza almost upside-down, leaving a lot of the cheesy topping hanging gruesomely from the rack and burning on the oven door. Oh, English expletive! Well, at least my arm remained intact.

I've learned a lot about kitchen safety in the last 6 months. I took Shuna's Knife Skills Class and haven't cut myself since (touch wood). I've taken the Food Manager Safety Class and Exam. I took the Millennium Cooking Class, where Chef Tucker very clearly spelled out that no glass items crossed from the bar area to the kitchen. So why did I think that bud vase was well positioned on the microwave above the dishwasher?

Yep, as I emptied the dishwasher and put glasses away in the cupboard, you know, the one right above the microwave and dishwasher, I just caught the bud vase which took the fastest suicide plunge ever, hitting the kitchen counter, richocheting into the open dishwasher, then onto the floor, shooting tiny splinters of glass over all three surfaces. Oh, American-English expletive!

So, they say things come in threes, and as I have some non-vegan baking planned this week, I think I'll probably skip licking the spoon. Stay safe!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

oh no - we had a glass smash recently and it's a pain cos I usually like to amble around in bare feet. It's not going to put me off licking any spoon though.

Have you actually become a vegan? I imagine the food at Millenium is inspiring enough to convert anyone.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

hi Sam,

no, I'm not planning on becoming a vegan, just eating more vegan meals. I tend to rely on cheese a lot for taste and protein, so it's good to expand.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Oh Dear! You weren't having a good time! I have had those oven burns before! They hurt like hell! You should try rubbing some neat lavender oil on the burn, it will stop it from scarring and help it heal quicker!
The pizza, sounds like a nifty idea though! I have a rapidly growing jalepeno plant and I am trying to find ideas for my crop!

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home