Google+

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Grilled Portobello, Tomato & Tofu Open Sandwich


I'm not big on sandwiches - too much bread - but this open version, like a giant crostini, made a completely satisfying dinner on a hot evening.

I sliced the portobello and grilled on my grill pan with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I dry grilled a slab of Wildwood Savory Tofu and a buttered slice of La Brea Organic Whole Wheat Bread. I then spread the toasted bread with arugula pesto, a slab of heirloom tomato, some fresh arugula leaves, the grilled portobellos, grilled tofu, and another slice of heirloom tomato, topped with arugula pesto.

Probably, my favorite no-cheese sandwich to date!

8 Comments:

Blogger urban vegan said...

How pretty and easy. Sandwiches are always great, don't you think?

7:00 AM  
Blogger bazu said...

Oh my word. This sandwich and the pizza from your last post are heavenly!

9:37 AM  
Blogger winedeb said...

Wow, what a handsome sandwich - how do you get it in your mouth? it looks so big! Or do you do like myself and take a knife and fork to it ????

11:09 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Definitely with a knife and fork...gotta keep things civilized!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Farmgirl Cyn said...

I have been craving (and creating) portabella sandwiches for several weeks now. I take ciabatta rolls, slice them, and pull most of the guts out. (I love the bread, but it loves my hips too much) Grill the shrooms and the bread, slap on a huge slab of heirloom tomato and maybe a bit of mayo. Oh my goodness.

7:26 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

Oh does that ever look delicious. DH is the cook, and I'm asking for that for dinner Saturday night. Thanks for sharing your wonder vegan recipes. Heaven!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

farmgirl cyn - hmm...now I'm thinking basil mayo!

zippiknits - thanks for your kind words! It's those kind of comments that inspire me to continue. Cheers!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Zoomie said...

That looks delicious! In fact, all your pictures look delicious! And I'm not even a vegetarian, but I do love the occasional vegetarian dish.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home