Google+

Monday, July 23, 2007

Squash Blossom & Jalapeno Pizza



Squash blossoms are just so appealing to me! Pretty, tasty, and very much in season.

Squash blossoms really should be eaten the same day they are picked, but I bought a bunch of day-old blossoms at the Farmers Market and sauted them with jalapeno and garlic to create this delicious pizza. While not at their prettiest, they still tasted good.

Before using squash blossoms, you need to clean them, so remove the stalks and the spiky leaves at the base, and remove the stamens from inside. Swish them around in water to make sure there are no bugs hiding out inside the flowers.



Here's some favorite squash blossom recipes from last year:

  • Fried Squash Blossoms with Garlic Cheese Filling

  • Zucchini, Mushroom & Squash Blossom Pizza

  • Squash Blossom Pizza


  • And the current recipe:

    Squash Blossom & Jalapeno Pizza:

    Trader Joe's plain pizza dough
    1 Tbsp butter
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 jalapeno (mine was red), seeded, hot ribs removed, finely chopped
    1 bunch squash blossoms, cleaned and trimmed
    3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 tsp olive oil
    Salt & pepper


    Pre-heat the oven to 450F degrees. Roll out the dough, well floured, to desired thinness.

    Melt the butter in a non-stick saute pan and cook the garlic for one minute over med-low hear. Add the jalapeno and cook for two minutes. Add the squash blossoms and sauted until lightly browned and crispy.

    Cover the crust with 1/2 cup of grated cheddar. Add the squash blossom and spread evenly. Top with the remaining cheese. Brush the edge of the dough with olive oil. Season.

    Cook for 10-12 minutes.

    9 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Catherine from Zoe in Perth, Australia. I like your stuff. Just looking for a sweet polenta muffin recipe. I had one years ago in a cafe, it was served warm with butter, it was savoury sweet. If you have a recipe I'd like it. Thanks Zoe

    10:14 PM  
    Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

    Another fabulous pizza combination! I often have squash blossoms that I can't use right away -- nice to have an idea for something great to do with them before they end up in the compost pile.

    4:55 AM  
    Blogger Donald said...

    Hi:
    I'm not a vegetarian but to look at some of your delicious recipes just makes my mouth water. The food looks really good. I'll be bookmarking you!
    I have a Whole food vitamins blog. It's health oriented in that it covers all natural supplements vs synthetic supplements related stuff. Come and check it out when you get time.:-)

    7:22 AM  
    Blogger Derek said...

    That is a good pie.

    5:08 PM  
    Blogger Vanessa said...

    Yay! Squash Blossoms are back at Albion Cooks! I think japapenos just might be my favorite veggie. I have to try this, like NOW!

    11:32 AM  
    Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said...

    I get giddy with delight when I see squash blossoms at the farmers' market. There is nothing like them in my opinion. Combining them with jalapenos on a pizza is brilliant! Thanks for the novel idea.

    11:52 AM  
    Blogger Sam said...

    have you been to coco500 and tried theirs?

    7:31 PM  
    Blogger Madeline said...

    This looks so good I can't wait to try it!

    10:58 PM  
    Blogger Catherine said...

    Thanks Madeline...I can't wait to have it again!

    11:01 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home