Google+

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Baked Frittata with Corn & Arugula


Guess I'm going through an egg, arugula, green garlic and Goat Gouda phase! Works for me...

This baked frittata really hit the suppertime spot and I topped it with halfed sweet tomatoes and balsamic vinegar...wow!

I never liked the stove-to-oven frittata method. It doesn't make sense, but I find it irritating. So I was psyched to discover this baked frittata recipe. In this case, I made an individual frittata using two eggs, along with sauted green garlic, arugula, and fresh, crunchy corn. I loved the corn and arugula combination and the Goat Gouda was the perfect cheesy compliment.


Baked Frittata with Corn & Arugula:

2 eggs beaten
1 tbsp milk, half & half, or cream
1 tsp flour
S & P

1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp butter
1 stalk of green garlic, finely chopped
1 cup arugula
1 ear of corn, kernels shaved from cob
1-2 oz Goat Gouda, grated

Preheat the oven to 350F.

Beat together the eggs, milk, flour, and salt and pepper until smooth.

Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet and add the green garlic. Cook for 2 minutes then add the butter. Cook 2 more minutes, add the arugula and cook until wilted. Remove from the heat and stir in the corn kernels.

Add the egg mixture to the vegetables and stir until well combined. Stir in most of the Gouda, saving a little to sprinkle on top.

Pour the mixture into a ramekin (Mine was 4.5"x4.5"), sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese, and place the ramekin on a baking tray.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until set.

9 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That rocks! You have GOT to write a cookbook.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Baked frittatas are so much easier! Love the combination of corn and cheese and arugula.

3:52 AM  
Blogger winedeb said...

This looks marvelous! Now I would have to think of a wine that would pair nicely. Adding the tomatoes and balsamic add a twist to it. Without them I would serve a Riesling, maybe even a dry one, or a Sauvignon Blanc. But with the addition of tomatoes I would go a little bolder. I think a Chardonnay would be in order. Also nice photo, which makes it all the more appealing!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Baking the fritatta is a very good idea! I will have to give it a go! I can't do the stove to oven thing. I have a new, very expensive frying pan, which weighs a ton, I might add, but unfortunately because of the handle it can't go in the oven. Apart from anything else, it just wouldn't fit. So this is a great idea for me!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

This sounds wonderful. I love fresh corn on/off the cob! Yum!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

This one really works for me, Catherine! I love fritattas. (In our house we call them Cassidy Lane Pizzas, which is fodder for a blog post if I ever heard one.)
I adore all your ingredients and can taste it just looking at the photos!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks to all for your comments on this post!

OK Christine, can you explain the Cassidy Lane Pizza connection?

8:27 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

When my dear friend Erika's children were, well, children, she would make a fritatta to use up leftovers. Her children loved it. Because she lived on Cassidy Lane, the fritatta took on that moniker. Whenever she planned on making a leftovers fritatta, she would say, "It's Cassidy Lane Pizza night!" and the kids would come running to the table.
Sweet little story, isn't it?

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and your green garlic. : ) Actually I have some in the garden I've been meaning to pick for a while. This sounds fantastic, and I love the combination of ingredients. I'm always looking for new ways to 1) eat eggs and 2) use arugula. I have to admit, though, I'll probably just end up scrambling everything together on the stovetop! : )

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home