Google+

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Tomato & Green Garlic Pizza


Green garlic is back! I found scallion-sized green garlic at last week's Farmers' Market and used it on this very simple pizza with sliced tomatoes and pine nuts. As you can see, some of the green garlic got burnt on top of the pizza so next time I'll either cover it with cheese or add it uncooked (I sauted the tiny slices in olive oil before adding them to the pizza).

Green garlic looks like a large scallion or a tiny leek:


It is immature garlic that has not yet formed its garlic bulb and it's taste is much milder than mature garlic. Green garlic has a short season and is typically found at Farmers' Markets.

Here's a couple of green garlic recipes from last season :

  • Green Garlic & Cheddar Scones

  • Green Garlic, Mushroom, & Spinach Pizza



  • 2 Comments:

    Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

    Oh cool! Is this sometimes called garlic shoots? I see that at my local farmers market sometimes and wasn't sure what it was,(duh, I should ask but there's always SO many things I'm curious about...).
    Now I have some ideas as to what I can do with it. Cool.

    12:25 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    great! i wish we have some of them here!

    the pizza looks very good.

    5:29 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home