Google+

Friday, March 09, 2007

Strozzapreti with Arugula and Arina Goat Gouda


Arugula (a.k.a. rocket) is a peppery green leaf with bite, commonly used in salads, that was considered an aphrodisiac back in Roman times. No promises there, but it is high in iron and Vitamin C. I recently enjoyed a pasta with arugula, tomatoes, and chilies at Il Fornaio restaurant and decided it was time to try my own version when I saw a fresh, organic bag at the Farmers' Marche. I paired it with Arina Goat Gouda, the most wonderfully creamy semi-hard goat cheese ever (if you eat cheese, you gotta try this), a little garlic, red pepper flakes, and pine nuts.

I was quite surprised at how peppery, almost bitter, the arugula was compared to the restaurant dish I'd enjoyed. I barely cooked it with olive oil and minced garlic. I enjoyed this dry pasta dish, but next time will try it with a tomato or red pepper sauce, or some fresh chopped tomatoes. To give it a sweet note.

Arina Goat Gouda...trust me...you gotta try it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I've not had this particular cheese, but it looks very much like a Dutch goat cheese I just bought at Trader Joe's. Will try this recipe with my Dutch cheese, which just might work....

4:05 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Lydia...I'll have to check that cheese out too!

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum!
If you've got any leftover rocket, try making a salad with pears and parmesan cheese. There's a recipe that I used on my blog somewhere, but none is really needed.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Have you ever had arugula pesto? One of my favorite restaurants serves it over pasta and it's delicious! I found a recipe online and have made it several times at home and it came out great. You should definitely try this!

Tiffany

10:27 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

tanya and tiffany - I saw recipes for both these items on epicurious! they both sound great!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home