Google+

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Thai Curry with Basil, Eggplant & Green Beans


This wonderful dish was my first using those lovely little green and white Thai eggplant! I found them at Whole Foods last week and thought they were tomatillos until I read the sign! After finding some organic Thai basil at the Farmers Market, I knew it was time for a Thai curry.

Apart from the eggplant, this Thai Curry with Basil, Eggplant, and Green Beans was inspired by a favorite dish at a longtime local restaurant, Royal Thai. I can't believe how close I got in taste to the restaurant version with this simple recipe! I can't wait to make this for friends and see what they think. I should warn you that this recipe was hot!

So the lovely little Thai eggplants are tomato-sized, white-fleshed, with lots of seeds. I just sliced them and sauted!

And, will miracles never cease, I finally managed to switch to the new Blogger after so many reneged invitations!

Thai Curry with Basil, Eggplant & Green Beans:
3 tbsp olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 Thai eggplant, sliced and cut in half
1 red pepper, sliced
1 cup+ thin green beans (I used Trader Joe's frozen)
1 serrano chile, sliced across (not deseeded)
8 oz firm tofu, cubed
3 tbsp Thai Red Curry Sauce (I used Trader Joe's, vegetarian but not vegan)
torn greens (I used broccoli rabe, but spinach or chard would be good)
12 leaves of thai basil

If using frozen green beans, heat salted water in a saucepan. When it boils, add the beans and cook 2-3 minutes. Drain and cover with cold water to stop the cooking.

Heat the oil in a skillet and cook garlic for 1-2 minutes (don't brown). Add the Thai eggplant, pepper, and serrano chile and sauted for 5 minutes. Add the tofu and saute for 2 additional minutes. Add the green beans, Thai Red Curry Sauce, and cover. Cook 5 minutes then add the torn greens (if you use spinach, add it later with the thai basil) and cook until greens are tender. Stir in thai basil and serve immediately over rice.


Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

Oh yum Catherine! I'm on the lookout for recipes which feature tofu as I am now making it from scratch!

7:36 PM  
Blogger funwithyourfood said...

I am making this
without a doubt

thank you!!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

thanks for your support guys! Your comments really keep me going!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

This looks lovely. Thanks for the recipe. I'm definitely making this over the weekend!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

A delicious way to use your Thai eggplant! Thanks for the recipe.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Welcome Linda - your blog looks wonderful! Thanks for leaving a comment - that's often the way I find out about new blogs!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Susan Voisin said...

This looks delicious. I love the little Thai eggplants--I thought they had an even better taste than regular ones. I'll have to give your recipe a try.

On another subject, your feed hasn't been updating in my reader, so I didn't see any of your posts for the last week until now. I don't know if it's a New Blogger glitch or what, but I'm sorry I've been missing out on your blog. I'll check in "manually" from now on.

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home