Google+

Monday, November 13, 2006

Romanesca Cauliflower


Isn't this the most stunning vegetable you've ever seen? I love this beautiful baby Romanesca cauliflower I found at yesterday's Farmers Market. It's fractal spirals make it look so other-worldly!

Originally from Northern Italy, the Romanesca cauliflower (also known as Broccoli Romanesco and Chou Romanesco) has the texture of a cauliflower, but tastes much more like mild sweet broccoli. Raw, the flavor was delicate at first, then followed by a radishy heat. Steamed, the radishy heat disappeared completely and the flavor was mild, creamy and faintly nutty. The Romanesca was certainly the prettiest vegetable I've ever topped with a cheddar cheese sauce:



This baby Romanesca (it covered the palm of my hand) steamed very quickly: 2 minutes. Next time, I'll give it the Roman treatment and simply saute it with olive oil, garlic, and pinenuts with a little lemon. Get yours now! The season for these beauties is very brief (Sept. - Nov.).

And, my cold has almost gone, thanks in part, no doubt, to the big dose of Vitamin C to be found in this little cauliflower. So this simple recipe is my contribution to Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday (ARF=Antioxidant Rich Food).

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol what the? Never seen this before! I made a program with loads of fruits and vegetables and other foods in it. But never came across this one. Are you interested in taking a look at it, maybe if you know of more exotic foods I can link to your site from it? Would be happy for you to contact me, thanks.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Romanesca! It hasn't appeared at my farmers market yet this year, but I got all I could last year. It has an extremely short growing period, I think just six weeks or so. So get 'em while you can!

4:36 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Ha, ha! 'Tis the season. Click over to Ilva at Lucullian Delights (you can find her in my blogroll), and check out my non-romanesco ::green:: cauliflower.
Beautiful, Cath.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I just saw this cauliflower for the first time, at a tiny market called Plum Produce in Boston. Too beautiful to eat, I think.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhh! You know what's funny ... I was just watching a cooking show and saw this vegetable and was wondering, "What the heck is that?"

And then I see your post! Very cool!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Anupama said...

Its the prettiest Veggie I have ever seen. Infact its too cute to eat.

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! I think I need to go on a hunt.

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats truly beautifull!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks to all for your comments! I've been trying to respond all day but blogger is having a problem!

Welcome Rav and atxvegn!

Tanna - so good to hear from you.

It's truly lovely and great to photograph! But you gotta eat it too - yum!

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine :)

Where did you even find out about this recipe? Lol...

8:43 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I ate one from a Farmer's Market on Saturday, first time I had ever seen them. Ate the whole thing raw, out of my hand like an apple. :]

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home