Google+

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Zucchini Skillet Cake


Uniquely flavored with pine nuts, capers, and marjoram, these zucchini skillet cakes, with just a hint of lemon, were incredible!

The recipe comes from the awesome Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen, which is filled with wonderful looking supper recipes.

I halved the recipe and made one large cake and two smaller. They were quite thick and hard to flip without falling to pieces. Although the large cake gave me a sense of satisfaction, I think I'll make 6 smaller cakes out of this quantity next time. We enjoyed this with a crisp romaine salad with cherry tomatoes and creamy blue cheese dressing.

Zucchini Skillet Cakes (adapted from Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen):

2 medium large zucchini, grated
1 egg, beaten (vegans can use 1/4 cup of pureed tofu, per Madison)
1-2 tbsp chives, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 tbsp dried marjoram
grated zest of 1 very small lemon
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/8 cup capers
olive oil
s & p

Sprinkle the grated zucchini with salt and place in a colander to drain for 15 minutes. Squeeze out as much liquid as you can from the grated zucchini using your hands or the back of a large wooden spoon. The more moisture you can remove, the easier it will be to keep the cakes together when frying.

In a large bowl, mix together the beaten egg, chives, garlic, parsley, marjoram, and lemon zest. Add the zucchini, breadcrumbs, and capers. Season.

In a large non-stick skillet, heat some olive oil over med. heat. Spoon out desired amount of mixture and form into a round cake in the frying pan (I used a spatula to form the cake and it worked very well). Cook until you the bottom is firm enough that you can flip it. (I used two spatulas together for the bigger cake - I think I need a giant spatula!) Cook on the other side until firm. Keep warm on a plate in the oven until all the cakes are cooked.

Serves 2.

4 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It sounds and looks fantastic. (I love Deborah Madison.)
I made a skillet cake the other day, from grated sweet potatoes, and I was scared to death to turn it. But. I slid the cake from the pan onto a dinner plate once the bottom was sufficiently browned. Then I flipped another dinner plate over that, grabbed the rims of both plates, and turned it over. Then I was able to slide the uncooked side back into the pan. (I thought using two plates was a lot easier than putting one plate over a hot skillet and trying to invert that contraption!)

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delish! Will try it out tomorrow! Thanks for the wonderful recipes. You have no idea how much you helped me deciding what to have for dinner all the time!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi cookiecrumb,

I tried with one plate and a skillet and realized I was probably going to end up with burn scars if I proceeded! I like the two plate idea! Hmm....sweet potatoes sound great!

Welcome Lost! Thanks for the kind comments - I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have Deborah's book and made the full recipe several times. Had it the other night along with butternut squash soup and a small salad. We take DM's advice and add cherry tomatoes and low fat ranch dressing on top. Very yummy! Is becoming a favorite at our house.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home