Google+

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Three Cheese Pizza with Fig, Pear & Watercress Salad



Some recipes, I feel, are simply not meant to be.

I had a wonderful idea a week of so ago, to adapt a recipe for a sandwich of Brie, Fig, Pear, and Watercress (from Once Upon a Tart) to a pizza (I'm not a sandwich fan - too bready, except pita).
The first attempt found black specs of mold in the pizza dough, the second was a sudden, instinctive voice that, as I started to put the pizza together, told me "nope".

"What?" I said, confused.
"Tomato sauce with figs and pears - that's not going to work. But, they'll make a great salad with the watercress and some balsamic vinegar"

A simple, yet indulgent pizza with tomato sauce, Brie, crumbled Gorgonzola, and crumbled goat cheese, with slices of fresh Farmers' Market white mushrooms was, well, amazing....with the salad of peppery watercress leaves, fresh figs, sliced D'Anjou pear in a balsamic vinaigrette!

3 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa said...

I agree - tomato sauce and figs don't mix! This is an excellent solution - I love a bite of pizza then a bite of salad! You could prob still top the pizza w/ pear and watercress if you nixed the tomato sauce and made a fig sauce as a base instead? Or a carmelized onion sauce? Lemme know if you try it - your pizzas always look to die for!

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you love that voice? Wish I listened to it more.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Vanessa - yes, I agree there are workarounds. I should have skipped the tomato sauce and brushed the base with olive oil with garlic - that would have worked. I think a fig sauce would be too sweet for me, but I love the carmelized onion sauce idea!

Christine - I've learned to listen - it's always right!

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home