Google+

Monday, October 23, 2006

Apple Cheddar Muffins



Apples and cheese are one of my favorite food pairings and here they are together in a fall breakfast muffin. Chucks of diced fresh apple with a topping of grated cheddar — yum!

The recipe is one of many variations listed for Apple Muffins in The Ultimate Muffin Book by Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough. It's a wonderful book, boasting over 600 muffin recipes, from Earl Grey Tea Muffins to Honey Muffins to Margarita Muffins! There's a muffin for every occasion: Matzo Brei Muffins, Sugar-Free Spelt Muffins, and tons of low-fat muffin recipes. And, then there's Stilton Muffins — hold me back!

Apple Cheddar Muffins (adapted from The Ultimate Muffin Book):

3 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into small chunks
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola/vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
2-1/4 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
grated cheddar cheese to top the muffins (about 1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 400.

Combine the apples, sugar, and oil in a bowl and set aside (authors say 45 mins - I cheated, 10 mins). Add milk and beaten egg and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.

Mix all the dried ingredients together in a large bowl and pour in the apple mixture. Stir with a spoon until just combined.

Line a muffin pan with paper cups or spray with nonstick spray. Fill the cups 3/4 full. Top with plenty of grated cheddar.

Bake just until a toothpick comes out clean (20-25 minutes).

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These look delicious, Catherine!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I am soooo into muffins right now. Apples and cheddar are completely New England -- must try this recipe!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

These muffins look AMAZING!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

thanks guys,

I think I've hit a chord with these ones!

As an afterthought, I recommend not using paper cups as sometimes the cheese topping sticks to them and as your peel off the paper cup, some of the cheese topping goes with it. :-(

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made those... I had been looking for a good apple-cheese muffin recipe for a while, my babysitter used to make muffins like that when I was a kid.

This recipe is simply amazing :) they are SO delicious! and it's a very simple and easy recipe, thank you very much! I'm bringing a bunch to work tomorrow morning!

Mélina from La Pêche, Québec, Canada

6:53 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Melina - I'm so glad you enjoyed these! You have reminded me I must make these again! Cheers!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home