Google+

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Inca Parcels

inca_pars_8635


I love the steam cabbage leaf wrap idea of these Inca Parcels, but, sadly, they ended up in the garbage uneaten.

That's a rarity in our household. I hate to throw away food, but we just couldn't eat these. This recipe from Vegan by Tony Weston and Yvonne Bishop stuffs steamed cabbage leaves with amaranth a gluten-free grain.

cabbage_ama_open_8634

But we didn't appreciate the caviar-popping texture of this grain. Texture apart, the sweetness of this stuffing was really unappealing. Balsamic vinegar along with the smoked paprika made this far too sweet and the balsamic vinegar didn't pair well with the olives and jalapeno. A more savory approach would have truly appealed. Next time, I'll stuff my cabbage leaves with couscous with feta and pine nuts and they'll be golden.

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Oh Catherine, I hate that they came out so badly! I hope you didn't make many of them. So much wasted time and ingredients.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Susan,

I made four little parcels, so it wasn't too bad. The disappointment was worse, I think. Good to try new things though.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I've had things go that badly, I try to make my self happy with the idea that "I never have to make it that way again!"
The do look appealing. Now we know. Thank you.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry they didn't work out, Catherine. They look adorable!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home