Google+

Monday, August 14, 2006

Yank Sing Dim Sum



I enjoyed a wonderful (and expensive) dim sum lunch at Yank Sing in San Francisco this weekend. Most of my photos didn't come out well, but I wanted to share the above: Stuffed Tofu wrapped with seaweed. The tofu inside was minced with seasoning and mushrooms - yum!

I also enjoyed the pea shoot dumplings, green onion pancakes, Chinese Broccoli, and the spicy green beans:



The atmosphere and service was excellent and the dim sum was really delicious. That said, I was stunned at the cost of the meal. The two of us did choose dishes with relative abandon, and there were a couple of beers, but $90 still seemed like a lot (and I was hungry again by 5pm!). I think of dim sum as inexpensive food. I'd definitely return to Yank Sing for a special occasion (which, happily, this lunch was), but plan to head back to Ton Kiang for great dim sum that meets my budget.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I went there once but someone else was buying, so I don't know about being expensive. I agree, $90 seems like a lot! The food was very good. The thing I remember most was a salad with cabbage, candied pecans and Vietnamese coriander. Yummy.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Kalyn - that sounds like a wonderful salad - I'm sorry I missed that one.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting at what point the price of a meal begins to color our perception of the food. I think $90 for two would have surprized me. Still it sounds like a very memorable and pleasant meal.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Hungry Hedonist said...

I have avoided Yank Sing for years now--it's good, but not that good nor worth the price. I rarely stray from my mainstay, Koi Palace. Lines truly are horrendous, though.

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I had eatten this stuffed tofu wrapped with seaweed before. But it sounds and seems lovely!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Jennifer - thanks for the tip on Koi Palace.

Welcome Windy - it was very unusual - but delicious!

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home