Google+

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Tofu with Stir-Fried Pea Shoots



I'd wanted to try pea shoots ever since I had them in dumplings at Yank Sing. I found a bag in our local Asian market and this was my first attempt at pea shoot stir fry.

I'd read you had to stir fry them quickly at very high heat with garlic and add soy sauce at the end. I did this and they smelled wonderfully crisp and fresh and, well, pea-like, as they cooked for about one and a half minutes. I served them over rice with triangles of teriyaki tofu.

The pea shoots were excellent, although some of the stems were too woody to eat, so I'll cut off the stem ends next time. I used two large minced garlic cloves with the pea shoots, but next time I'll double that. I think a little toasted sesame oil would be an excellent companion. I expected the pea shoots to have more greenery, but their crisp pea taste was a welcome addition to my veggie repetoire.

I'd love to hear any pea shoot recommendations/recipes in the comments. And, of course, I'll have to try my hand at pea shoot dumplings. Cheers!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine.

This is Ming here.
Just saw your blog and find the recipe really interesting...

my website is at mingchern.com and i've dedicated it to all about tofu.

I've created some categories, though i've yet got the time to fill it all up.

Though you're welcome to post some articles up as well. Cheers!

Ming

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the sound and look of the pea shoots! I'll be looking for them at Saigon Market next week.

8:05 AM  
Blogger K Allrich said...

What a lovely presentation!

10:14 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Your tofu looks amazing...

I have never eaten pea shoots... but if I see them, I will definitely buy them..

10:42 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I just watched an episode today of Cheft at Home, and he used pea shoots in a salad with arugula and watercress. I had never heard of them before, so now twice in one day! I'll have to try them myself.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home