Google+

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Taco Salad

IMG_7499
Irresistible taco salad with refried beans, grated sharp cheddar, homemade salsa, guacamole, and sour cream!

I love this messy combo, usually found in vat-sized containers at parties. "Walk away" I have to tell myself, realizing the vat is half empty, thanks mostly to me. So, in this twist on favorite Mexican ingredients, I made (fairly) modest individual taco salad in my manicotti ramekins.

I used refried pinto beans and spread a generous layer at the bottom of the ramekins and topped them with grated sharp cheddar cheese. Popped them in the micro for 2 minutes until the cheese is melted and they're bubbling. Be sure to put a paper towel over the top - I didn't and some of the beans exploded=messy.
IMG_7491

I made fresh salsa with some organic red and yellow tomatoes, fresh jalapeno, red onion, and cilantro, which went on top of the cooked cheesy beans.
IMG_7484

Finally, a layer of guacamole and light sour cream. Serve with shavings of lettuce and your favorite tortilla chips!

6 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

My husband's kind of food! What a great treatment.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this - I really love this dish - great idea for individual plates! Have you ever seen phony quacamole made with split peas? It's phony but I really like it.
The julienne tool is really great - I use it a lot for carrots in salads. For small jobs it's terrific and safer.

9:51 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

'Scuse me, Catherine, but I have to ask Tanna about the fake guacamole. Dried split peas? OMG. We get avocados year-round here, but I'm still intrigued.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Christine - Hubby loved it but I think he would have prefered a larger serving.

Tanna - no, I haven't tried that. I'm a bit of an guac. purist, but like cookie, I'm intrigued. Tell us more!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Dianne said...

Awww! I want some! It looks very very eatable. It also looks like a meal that I'm going to be eating very very soon

:)

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years ago I found Phony Quacamole in "The 8-week Cholesterol Cure Cookbook." It is not avocado, it is quacamole like. You cook green split peas until they are really soft, blend them smooth with a little oat bran and proceed as if you'd mashed an avocado. It's very high in fiber and guilt free depending what you dip into it with.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home