Google+

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Lentil and Veggie Pesto Bake with Southern Greens & Sausage


I think this may have been the best "leftovers" recipe I've ever come up with!

Leftovers are a rarity these days, but we had quite a bit of the Lentil and Veggie Pesto Bake left over (a cup of lentils plus potatoes is a lot for 2 people). The original was so good and hearty, I couldn't imagine using up the leftovers as a side dish.

I had just picked up a 1lb bag of Southern Greens (mustard, turnip, and collard greens, plus spinach) to try from Trader Joe's and guessed they'd go great with the lentils. And they did - I just wish I'd used more as they really cooked down in volume. I also added some crumbled Gimme Lean Sausage - totally awesome with the lentils and greens - pine nuts, and topped it with feta. We loved this hearty combo.

Lentil and Veggie Pesto Bake with Southern Greens & Sausage:

Leftover Lentil and Veggie Pesto Bake ( I had about 1-1/2 cups)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
I large clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup vegetable broth
4- 6 oz Southern greens ( I wish I'd used more)
Gimme Lean Sausage - I used about 3 tbsp
2 tbsp pine nuts
crumbled feta to top

Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onion for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 2 more minutes. Add the Southern Greens and mix well. Add the vegetable broth gradually, as needed, and simmer greens for 15-20 minutes. Add the crumbled sausage and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add the leftover lentil and veggie pesto bake and pine nuts and cook until completely heated (3-4 minutes).

Serve topped with feta, if desired.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine, this looks right up my ally. The Lentil & Veggie Pesto Bake looked good but I'm a freak-o when it comes to spinach (greens in general) so the left-over dirction looks to be the most perfect. This is in my list to try!!!

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home