Google+

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Cool Mediterranean Chickpea Salad



As the temperature rises, this Mediterranean chickpea salad will keep you cool and satisfied- no cooking required!

What makes this chickpea salad a stand-out? The super-light dressing of light sour cream, lemon juice, and cumin. There's nothing heavy about the dressing - I almost hesitate to call it dressing. It adds cool flavor, without adding any richness, and tastes fantastic!

This recipe is listed in my recipe book as Joanna's Chickpea Salad. I enjoyed a similar salad at a party at Joanna's and it was so delicious, I asked for the recipe. She gave me the list of ingredients, without measurements, and told me it was her reproduction of a deli salad she had enjoyed.


Cool Mediterranean Chickpea Salad:
1/2 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup black olives, chopped
1 tbsp light sour cream
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt & pepper

Gently combine all ingredients. Serve!

We enjoyed this with baguette, and



Stay cool!

10 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I've been on a bit of a chickepea salad binge, making my second one of the week today. This sounds like it might be a good candidate for #3. I just saved it to my del.icio.us cookbook. Live the sound of the dressing with the cumin.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Great salad! Thanks for the recipe. The second one looks fabulous and simple too... great with a baguett too. What did you use in the second salad?

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds perfect for the hot summer evening coming along!
Beautiful photo's!!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Kalyn - I'm actually not the biggest chickpea fan, but this recipe is excellent - even hubby raved about it.

Hi dragonslayer - the other salad is simply sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil, s & p - really good!

Hi Tanna - thanks for being such a great commenter!

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've just reminded me that I don't eat nearly enough chickpeas!

Lovely!

12:24 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I am definitely going to try this subbing tofu sour cream for the sour cream.. I'll bet the black olives were a delicious addition.

1:12 PM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

I am definitely going to try this subbing tofu sour cream for the sour cream.. I'll bet the black olives were a delicious addition.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

My husband is an avid chickpea fan and I love tomatoes and fresh mozzarella. You've got a double-header here!

4:34 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Beautiful.
Albion doesn't cook today!!
xx

7:40 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

Sounds yummy. Tomato season will be coming up for us soon. My first four ripened for picking yesterday.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home