Google+

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sesame Tofu



I recently got Moosewood's Simple Suppers from the library and after a cursory review, I marked lots of novel recipes to try. This book is definitely a winner for me!

The cookbook, made up of quick and easy recipes for dinners, contains several awesome-sounding tofu recipes (Lemon Herb Tofu, Tofu Masala), including this Sesame Tofu recipe. This very easy recipe added a little excitement to my frequently-made dish of steamed tofu and veggies. Of course, it's fried (in sesame oil), so its not a low fat dish (especially as I made peanut sauce to go on the side!) It was tasty - smoky and a little crunchy. The original recipe calls for sauteed spinach as the companion veggie, which has the advantage of clearing up all the lost sesame seeds in the pan.

I can't wait to try more recipes from this book!

Sesame Tofu (adapted from Simple Suppers):

8 oz extra firm tofu
1/8 cup+ sesame seeds
1 tbsp sesame oil
soy sauce (optional)

Cut the tofu into 8 rectangles. Spread the sesame seeds out on a plate and press each side of the tofu rectangles into the seeds, until well covered.

Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick pan and fry tofu gently for about 5 minutes on each side, turning gently. Add a little soy sauce and cook 1-2 more minutes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I must admit those look darn tastylicious, and I do have all the ingredients sitting in my pantry...
Guess I know what I'm doing tonight!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Welcome Becky and Garrett!

Thanks for your kind words! I love it when people stop by and introduce themselves ... its a great way to discover new blogs!

Cheers!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an excellent cookbook. I've enjoyed several recipes. Thanks for the intro to this recipe.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Dori said...

I like the looks of this.... I'd ask for a bite, but I think I need to run to my kitchen to try this out instead... I have sesame and the perfect leftover bit of tofu!

9:02 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

Looks delicious.... wonderful photo..

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home