Google+

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Zucchini Cups Stuffed with Red Pepper, Feta, & Pinenuts


These stuffed zucchini cups looked so cute in Paulette Mitchell's Vegetarian Appetizers, I had to try them. The recipe seemed really easy and attainable, even for someone like me, who isn't good at the fiddley stuff.

I had issues though. I microwaved the zucchini cups with a little water, but thought the 2 minutes called for in the recipe sounded like a long time. I cut it down to 1 1/2 minutes, I wish I'd made it 45 seconds. Some of the cups were overcooked, a sin that, as an English cook, I really try to avoid. Also, when I broiled these babies for 3 minutes (per the recipe), the pinenuts on top blackened unattractively, but the feta never browned.

The cups, themselves, were remarkably easy to prepare. Simply trim the zucchini and slice into 3/4 inch slices. I used a grapefruit spoon (with a serrated end) to scoop out the cups and this worked brilliantly. Mitchell suggests using a melon baller.

The filling is simply chopped fire roasted red peppers, crumbled feta, pinenuts, and fresh oregano mixed together.

Despite the cooking issues, they did taste good and I love the zucchini cup concept! I plan to try them stuffed with rice salad, broiled with goat cheese (with the pinenuts underneath). Heck, I think they'd make a delish (and super easy) appetizer simply filled with a creamy dip.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dori said...

I have made my way to see if you were back from "mum's", I see most definitely. I really like seeing the restaurant foods... you are such a blogger. :o) The cake looks marvelous!

I plan on trying your cilantros sauce soon. I just planted my cilantros... looking forward to it! I haven't really cooked with cilantros before other than a little in salsa, but wanted to try it this year.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine those are gorgeous! And they look like they'd be perfect for a party ... great idea!

9:43 AM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Wouldn't they be great picnic snackies?

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home