Google+

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Super Sesame Slaw



I have to admit, I really like those creamy coleslaw dressings, but today I wanted something lighter. I had two beautiful cabbages, one green and one purple and I wanted something sesame. So I whipped up a sesame-ginger dressing and this slaw came out smokey and light and fabulous. This would be great in rice paper with tofu, but I think we're going to finish this before dinner time!

Here's the recipe:

Slaw:
3 medium carrots, cut into 3" pieces and grated
1 1/2 cups purple cabbage, grated
1 cup green cabbage, grated
1/2 cup peanuts (optional)
Chopped cilantro (optional)


Dressing:
1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp mirin
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp sesame seeds


Combine the grated carrots, cabbage, and peanuts and toss in your serving bowl. In a small bowl, beat together all the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the vegetables, top with additional sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.

3 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You have inspired me for lunch tomorrow. Mine will be made from shredded celery root, grated carrot, shredded purple cabbage, sliced red onion. A dressing of sesame oil-miso-mirin-rice vinegar. Oh, heck, some soy sauce too. And definitely a shower of toasted sesame seeds.
(This will not only help me to clear out the fridge, but the pantry too.)
Thanks!
This is fun.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Guess I won't see you at the farmer's market. I have to go for apple pie tortillas. The slaw was awesome. We had a little left for dinner. I did Trader Joes frozen Veg in Thai Curry Sauce with tofu and extra coconut milk. This food should have a health warning! It's so hot (and I like hot) it would give some people in my family a nosebleed!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

VK- the salad was very easy. The sauce can be used for many things

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home