Saturday, March 25, 2006

Super Sesame Slaw

I have to admit, I really like those creamy coleslaw dressings, but today I wanted something lighter. I had two beautiful cabbages, one green and one purple and I wanted something sesame. So I whipped up a sesame-ginger dressing and this slaw came out smokey and light and fabulous. This would be great in rice paper with tofu, but I think we're going to finish this before dinner time!

Here's the recipe:

3 medium carrots, cut into 3" pieces and grated
1 1/2 cups purple cabbage, grated
1 cup green cabbage, grated
1/2 cup peanuts (optional)
Chopped cilantro (optional)

1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp mirin
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp. minced ginger
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp sesame seeds

Combine the grated carrots, cabbage, and peanuts and toss in your serving bowl. In a small bowl, beat together all the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the vegetables, top with additional sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.


Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You have inspired me for lunch tomorrow. Mine will be made from shredded celery root, grated carrot, shredded purple cabbage, sliced red onion. A dressing of sesame oil-miso-mirin-rice vinegar. Oh, heck, some soy sauce too. And definitely a shower of toasted sesame seeds.
(This will not only help me to clear out the fridge, but the pantry too.)
This is fun.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Guess I won't see you at the farmer's market. I have to go for apple pie tortillas. The slaw was awesome. We had a little left for dinner. I did Trader Joes frozen Veg in Thai Curry Sauce with tofu and extra coconut milk. This food should have a health warning! It's so hot (and I like hot) it would give some people in my family a nosebleed!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Vegan Knitting said...

Ooooo - I love the new photo! So cute!

I think I'm too lazy to make such a salad but that sauce sounds like it would be a really good dipping sauce for firm tofu. I bought some to bring in my lunch this week but I hadn't perfected a sauce yet.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

VK- the salad was very easy. The sauce can be used for many things

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home