Google+

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Green Veggie & Sesame Tofu Fried Rice


"Tofu, with its gentle yin cooling quality, helps to calm the mind and the soul and encourages clarity. The gentle style of the saute is another calming and settling influence..."— John Sandifer, Zen and the Art of Cooking

I wanted a dinner that I could sink my teeth into. Something fresh and vibrant, crunchy and comforting, something I could throw together haphazardly, that required no embellishment, planning, or forethought.

This fabulous green stir-fry was just what I needed. It was very green and light, tasty, but not rich. It was a great way to use the Hodo Soy Sesame Tofu strips and the plethora of green vegetables patiently waiting in my fridge to release their chi.

This was a ten minute dinner, full of goodness.

1 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
3-4 stalks of asparagus, thick ends removed, cut into 2" diagonals
3/4 cup frozen peas
I large bunch broccolini, chopped
6 white mushrooms, wiped and sliced
1/3 cup snow peas
1-2 tbsp sesame oil
1 cup cooked rice
1 egg, beaten
4 oz sesame tofu, sliced into thin strips
sesame seeds to top

Parboil the asparagus for 2 minutes, then add the peas for one minute longer. Drain.
Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan until medium hot. Add the broccolini and cook 2-3 minutes (4-5 minutes if using broccoli) until cooked. Add the asparagus, peas, snow peas, mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes . Add the sesame oil, rice and tofu to the mixture and cook 1 minute. Add the beaten egg, stir until the egg sets and serve topped with sesame seeds.
+ +

8 Comments:

Blogger K Allrich said...

This lovely dish just smacks of SPRING!

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Bummer - I'm getting spammed so I've activated word verification.

7:47 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Well, then you need a loving, genuine comment!
This looks very nice. Just a riff in the kitchen, eh?
I'm wondering: Would you have liked (or allowed) a flavoring element like spicy bean paste or oyster sauce?

8:02 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi cookiecrumb,

I know what you mean - the recipe sounds bland, but the taste really wasn't. I had some stirfry veggie paste/sauce options available, but I consciously didn't use them - my explanation : they seemed like they might add something artificial. Keep in mind that the sesame tofu strips had a creamy sesame taste "built in" and the toasted sesame oil adds a wonderful smoky flavor. I did think of onion, garlic, and ginger and they may be added next time ('cos I love them), but this worked for me on its own (I did add soy sauce to mine).

8:27 PM  
Blogger Fiber said...

Wow, this looks awesome - very fresh and green!

And you know you've hit the big time if the spammers are here. =)

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home