Google+

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Cheese Sables - a great little appetizer


These cheesy little triangles melt in your mouth. They are delicate and flakey and can be made in a snap with ingredients you probably always have on hand. The cayenne pepper gives them zip and makes all the difference.I recently rediscovered the recipe when I found a notebook with handwritten recipes from my teenage years. I believe the original recipe came from a Penguin book on Cordon Bleu cooking.

3oz (just under one cup) of flour
3 oz (6 tbsp) butter (I used salted)
3 oz grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
a pinch of salt
1/16 tsp cayenne pepper
milk as needed

Preheat the oven to 375. Sift the flour, salt, and cayenne pepper into a mixing bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add the grated cheese and form into a dough. If the dough won't hold together, use tiny amount of milk to form a workable dough. On a floured board, roll out the dough to 1/8 " thickness. Cut the dough into 2" x 2" squares, then cut each square diagonally to form two triangles. Place on a flat baking tray (ungreased) and bake for 10 minutes, until light gold. Allow to cool for 2 minutes, then serve.

Makes 40-50. These are best eaten immediately!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! Those look amazing!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Beth,

Thanks for visiting. I've been enjoying your blog. These taste very indulgent. They're great alone, but hubby and I had them with Seven Pepper Jelly, which was a great combo.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Dolores said...

These are a definite addtion to my open house menu. Thanks Catherine for sharing, and Beth for pointing me this direction!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi cc,

Thanks so much for visiting and welcome to the food blog scene!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home